Have you ever experienced that you opened an existing project with DaVinci Resolve and a red message appeared “Media Offline” shows up in one or more clips?
Most times, when this happens, it simply means your files and projects have been moved or saved in a different file location and that DaVinci Resolve cannot find the file it is linked to. Hence, media offline issue. This does not always mean the file has been deleted.
So if you’re unable to preview your clips and you are seeing the media is offline in DaVinci Resolve error message, worry less because in this tutorial, you’ll learn how to solve this issue.
- Go to Media Pool
- Highlight all of your offline clips
- Select Relink Media.
- Go to the folder where the media files are
- Click Ok
- You may be asked to perform a comprehensive search, which will dig deeper into subfolders, if this is the case, click Search.
Install HEVC video extension:
Another reason Media Offline issue might occur is related with playing back H.265 or HEVC codec footage.
Immediately after importing the file into DaVinci resolve, it shows media offline but it is actually not.
You may only hear the audio play and why this happens is because of the inability to decode HEVC or H.265.
The fix here is pretty straightforward which means it needs HEVC extensions to successfully decode H.265 footage (in DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro, etc.)
Here is what you should do:
- Go to Microsoft store;
- Search for “microsoft hevc video extensions”;
- Click on “Buy” button;
- Download and install the extension on your PC;
- You may need to restart your PC.
- DaVinci Resolve should now be able to decode the h.265 video.
That’s all. We do hope the solution we have provided solves the davinci resolve media offline issue.